Using CSS Grid
CSS Grid is a next generation powerful layout system that has now made it's way to all major browsers.
CSS Grid will not only make designing layouts easier, but it opens up a whole new world of layout possibilities that were not possible previously.
This is an educational talk that will explore how CSS grid works, when we should use it, many of the powerful concepts behind it as well dive into many real world examples - seeing how we can use it with it's older sibling Flexbox.
An Intro to React JS
Hundreds of thousands of developers from small agencies to large companies use React to deliver top notch experiences in their apps and dynamic website components:
- Facebook.com is made up of thousands of React components.
- Instagram web viewer is entirely built in React.
- The brand new Netflix movie browsing experience is powered by React
This is a 1 day, 6-8 hour workshop aimed at understanding the fundamentals of React. Throughout the day we will work to incrementally build an application touching all every major point of React:
- Creating Components and writing HTML with JSX
- Routing with React Router
- Understanding State and holding data
- Passing data between components with with Props
- Fetching data from an Ajax endpoint
- Persisting data with LocalStorage
- Working with Events in React
- Working with Forms, retrieving data from DOM inputs
- Stateless Functional Components
- React Deployment
Together we will build http://React.beer, an interactive Beer explorer single page application. Along the way we will learn each fundamental concept, take time to implement it in our application and understand both the Whys and hows of the way React works.
What To Bring
Bring a laptop with:
- the latest version of Node.js Installed - you can download the installer over at Nodejs.org. If you aren't sure if you have node installed, open a terminal window and type
node -v, compare that against the latest version at http://nodejs.org
- A terminal / command line application. For Windows I recommend cmder, though the built in one will work just fine. For OSX built in Terminal, iTerm2 or [Hyper.app]https://hyperterm.now.sh/) will work as well.
- A text editor. You may use any editor but here are some good ones:
A bit about Wes
Wes Bos is a full stack developer and teacher from Hamilton, Canada. With a knack for breaking down technical concepts and converting them into fun, digestable bits, Wes creates some of the best online courses related to web development.
Wes on the web
Don't miss out. Come see Wes Bos and other inspiring speakers at Source Up! 2017.
Early Bird tickets (10% off) start at R 5,850 (~USD 450) to learn from the world's leading front-end design experts in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Other great folks speaking at Source Up!